Project 1 – Filming with Hybrid Cameras
For this project, you’ll be working in groups of two. Using either a Panasonic GH3 or GH4, I’d like you to create a short film that is between 20 and 60 seconds long and contains between three and ten shots. The theme of this project is “Action/Reaction.”
It should be a “silent” film – you can use ambient noise, sound effects, and music, but no lines of dialog. You will only be using the camera for this project (no tripod or rigging equipment) and part of the project should take place in a public space. You should only use available light sources, no light kits.
The reason I’ve given this project so many parameters is that I’d like you to focus on the unique strengths of hybrid cameras – their size, portability, and versatility. Pay attention to the light in the environment you are filming in and be sure to set your white balance correctly. Filming in a public space can be challenging, so be polite (and, whenever possible, discrete). The finished video is due 11pm on Monday, September 10. We’ll look at everyone’s work on Tuesday.
Once again, here are the parameters:
- Create a short film around the theme “Action/Reaction”
- 20 to 60 seconds in length
- 3 to 10 shots
- No dialogue, but music, ambient noise, and sound effects are permitted
- Only available light
- Part of the film must take place in a public place
- Export the film at a resolution of 1920 x 1080 at 24 frames per second
- Due before 11pm on Monday, September 10.